Last week was challenging to say the least. Monday well was Monday and I was tired and cranky, Tuesday my cat had a stroke and died, Wednesday my husband was in an accident, Thursday my step-dad hit a deer and wrecked his car. By Friday I just wanted to curl up in a ball!
It is no surprise that I turned to one of my favorite comfort foods in the middle of all of this. I made King Kakes for my husband who loves peanut butter, and pancakes. It was odd though, I was making pancakes on a Thursday. Pancakes are a weekend food to me. As I munched on my cakes, I thought Pancakes are a great breakfast. They shouldn't have to be just a weekend food! But, there is no way to fit mixing, cooking and eating pancakes into a busy morning schedule. My solution is to make a bunch up and freeze them. They they are the perfect grab and go breakfast. All you have to do in the morning is nuke and nosh.
Tips for freezing pancakes:
1. Smaller pancakes are better for storing and reheating. I found that any size between a CD and small salad plate sized are good.
2. Allow your cakes to cool before freezing. Make sure to flip them a couple of times so there isn't any steam trapped or use a wire rack to cool.
3. Place the cooled cakes on a cookie sheet and pop into the freezer until frozen. This will keep them from sticking together, and will prevent any ice crystals.
4. Take the frozen pancakes out and place in freezer bags, or plastic containers for freezer storage.
5. To thaw, place in the microwave about a minute.
Coming up tomorrow: The easiest cinnamon rolls ever!